Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 restrictions, we have had to limit the amount of volunteering opportunities available and so are not able to take on new volunteers at this time. We are very sorry about this. We will continue to monitor the government guidance and will be recruiting again as soon as we can. If you would like to be added to our waiting list, please email Volunteer Co-ordinator, Maria, and she will be in touch when we are able to accept new volunteers. Thank you for you patience.
Practical Conservation Volunteers plant trees in a nursery on site in April 2014
Come and make friends, learn new skills, gain experience in the environmental sector and have fun! There are a variety of volunteer opportunities at St Nicks to suit everyone including:
- Practical Conservation Volunteering: Help out on the nature reserve and other nearby green spaces, with tasks such as planting, path building, and tree work. Conservation sessions run every Monday and Tuesday 9:30am-12:30pm. Monday session will focus on the neighboring green spaces that we manage. Tuesdays will focus on managing St Nicks LNR
- Wildwatch Group: Join the wildwatchers observing wildlife and carrying out surveys, along with aiding in public education and project development. The group meets every Wednesday, 10:00am-12:00pm.
- Student Action Volunteering: These sessions are designed for university students who would like to help with wildlife surveying and gain practical conservation experience. Activities take place Wednesdays during term time, 2:00pm-4:00pm.
- Greening up Heworth Holme: Help restore the wetland meadow at Heworth Holme every Friday, 10:00am-1:00pm (Bad Bargain/Tang Hall Lane entrance). We will be cutting the grass using scythes, sowing wildflowers and installing a path in order to improve the area for it’s biodiversity and those who use the site.
- Events and Outreach Volunteering: Help organise, publicise and co-ordinate St Nicks events, on and off site though delivering leaflets, helping with events on the day, marketing and fundraising or assist in raising the profile of St Nicks at external events. View our Events page to see what St Nicks have planned for the coming weeks and please get in touch if you would like to get involved.
- Eco Active days: Come and join us every 3rd Sunday, 10:00am-12:00pm as we carry out a practical conservation task on the nature reserve or another green space that we manage. The task will change each s3ession but will focus on maintaining and improving the nature reserve for the wildlife and people that use it. Have a look on our Events page to find out when the next one will be held and what the task will be.
So, with whatever time or experience you have, why not get in touch with our Volunteer Co-ordinator, Maria Gill, to find out more?