BioBlitz at Heworth Holme
Thu 6 Jun 2019–Fri 7 Jun 2019 at 8:30 pm
Heworth Holme, Bad Bargain/Tang Hall Lane entrance, York, YO31 0RE
Pollinator Prowl at St Nicks
Discover the amazing wildlife living in the incredible Heworth Holme wetland meadow, guided by experts and St Nicks knowledgeable staff and volunteers. Help us record as many species as possible during the 24 hours including bats, wildflowers and pollinating insects. We’ll also be looking for field signs of water voles and otters (yes, we’ll be looking for poo!).
No expertise is required and wildlife enthusiasts of all ages are welcome. This is a drop in event, come for the day or just an hour or two – see the programme below to help you choose. Meet at our green gazebo in time for the start of the scheduled activities:
Thursday 6th June
- 8:30-9:30pm General wildlife walk – find out what type of flora and fauna make up the incredible biodiversity found on site
- 9:30-10:30pm Bat and moth walk – using bat detectors and moth ropes we’ll be recording these nocturnal creatures after sunset
Water vole (photo by Ian Traynor)
Friday 7th June
- 9:30-11:30am Mammal monitoring – Check small mammal traps with Yorkshire Mammal Group, look for footprints in our mammal tunnels and for signs of water voles and otters along the beck
- 12-1:30pm Invertebrate walk – Butterflies, bees, bugs and more!
- 2- 4pm Wildflower walk – Find out which beautiful wildflowers make up this wonderful wetland meadow
- 4:30-6pm Beck dipping – Taking samples from Tang Hall beck, let’s see what freshwater invertebrates lurk within the water
- 6:30-8:30pm General wildlife walk including birds – it’s the final countdown! Help us finish off the BioBlitz by trying to identify as much of the wildlife that we haven’t already recorded and increase the total number of species recorded during the event.
Free entry, donations welcome
Online bookings are not available for this event.