Can you help spread the word about event by downloading and forwarding this poster please? Your help would be much appreciated.
More activities. stalls and details are being added as they are confirmed so do come back to check.
Join us with the Lord Mayor’s Civic Party, who will be arriving by an electric TukTuk, and local MP Rachael Maskell for our annual celebration of autumn at St Nicks Nature Reserve. Come and taste the produce, explore the orchard and discover the wildlife. There will be lots of stalls and activities for all ages including:
- tasting & sale of St Nicks produce + honey from a local beekeeper
- Bake Off – this year’s theme is autumn’s bounty. You could be a judge on the day (for £5 you get a plateful of cake to try) or donate a cake/pie containing some British fruit – please get in touch by end of 10th October if you’d like to enter the contest and have a chance to win a prize. Confirmed entries into the contest so far include cakes from: Brunswick Cafe, Olivia’s Artisan Bakery & Cafe, Bicis Y Mas, Bistro Guy and the Good Food Shop.
- children’s activities (adults are welcome to join in too!) – Apple Olympics, Longest Peel Contest, 1-4pm autumn-themed storytelling
- apple picking & juicing
- 2-4pm pottery demonstrations and opportunities to have a go on a pottery wheel
- Anneliese’s Autumnal Acrostic – join award-winning poet, performer and lyricist Anneliese Emmans Dean in writing an acrostic poem
- Eco-Crafters Club showcasing and selling their crafts
- 1:30-3:30pm Meet Brenda Tyler, author of Tomtes books
- Walks & activities starting from St Nicks stall (please arrive 5mins earlier; children must be accompanied): 1.15-2.15pm Bird walk – free, with Sustrans & St Nicks; 1.30-2pm Apple tree planting – free, with St Nicks; 2-2.30 pm Apple picking – free, with St Nicks; 2.30-3.30pm Foraging walk – by donation, with Mina Said-Allsop (as seen in Country Living and The Guardian) and Sustrans (you can book ahead via their page; there is a limited number of free tickets for children under ten years of age); 3-3.30pm Blub planting in heritage orchard site – free, with St Nicks; 4-4.30pm Water Vole wander – free, with St Nicks; 2, 3 & 4pm Nordic Walking – around 30 mins to find out about the benefits and practicalities of Nordic walking, and to have a go under the guidance of experienced leader Karen Heldt, equipment provided
- Climate Acts – share your tips for reducing carbon footprint and talk to the local MP Rachael Maskell (arriving around 2:3pm) about your concers over climate change (or any other). The event is part of the Climate Coalition’s Speak Up Week of Action to celebrate the people, places and things we want to protect from climate change, such as St Nicks. Join in and make sure MPs feel that love.
- Yorkshire cider from the Real Cider Company
- locally made beer from Brew York who do not use of any processing aids of animal origin, such as the commonly used isinglass (derived from the fish swim bladder and used to aid beer clarity) so the beer is vegetarian/vegan friendly
- stalls: Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, Abundance & Edible York offering apple treats, York Racial Equality Network, York Civic Trust, Sustrans, Kyra – Women’s Project, Greenfields: School & Community Gardens, FrackFree York, LendLease – offering information materials about mental health and wellbeing, and free camping bottles, York Community Energy, Fulford Community Orchard, The Conservation Volunteers (more tbc)
- Dr Bike – Eyup Cycling volunteers will check your bike is safe to ride and make minor repairs where possible or give advice if major repairs are needed
- soup & bread from yourcafe and other refreshments
Please note that car parking at the Centre is very limited. The neighbouring mosque on Bull Lane is kindly offering parking and tours of the new mosque (between 2-5pm) on the day. If possible, please use public transport, cycle or walk.
Big thanks go to the main event sponsor Hungate York Regeneration, which is a joint venture partnership between Lendlease and Evans Property Group. Thanks also go to John Spedan Lewis Foundation for supporting out wildlife surveys.
Thanks to Lord Mayor for supporting us this year!
Free event, donations welcome for Lord Mayor’s charities St Nicks, York Racial Equality Network, York LGBT Forum and York Civic Trust